Our Court Service
As a victim of crime, attending court and giving evidence can be stressful and people may feel anxious about it. Victims are often involved in court cases as witnesses. They do not have their own lawyer to speak for them.
If you are going to court, Victim Support Scotland’s Court Service can guide you through the process by helping you understand what to expect.
Please contact us by either calling our free phone number: 0800 160 1985 or filling in our contact form, before you come into court.
Our services are free to you and available in every Sheriff and High Court in Scotland. Currently we are only able to support crown and prosecution witnesses.
Read our Victims and Witnesses – Joint Protocol 2021, created in partnership with The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS), the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service (SCTS), and Police Scotland.
We can help you before the trial and on the day of the trial even if you have not been in touch with us before. You can find the Court Service by asking at the court reception desk.
- If you are nervous, worried or upset we can sit with you while you wait to go into the court room.
- Sometimes, we can sit in court with you while you give your evidence.
- We can explain the court process and your role as a witness.
- We can tell you about the agencies involved in your case and who can best answer any questions you have. We can sometimes speak to agencies for you.
- We can help with practical matters, such as filling in your court expenses form, or finding your way round the court building.
- We can conduct a court familiarisation visit and take you to an empty court so you know what to expect on the day of the trial.
- We also have our virtual tours of Scottish courts, where you can view the setting prior to attending court.
- We can provide information on special measures (such as screens or in-court supporters), which can help you give your best evidence.
- If you have been granted the opportunity to write a victim statement telling the court how the crime has affected you, we can help you with this.
If you have any queries regarding our witness service you can get in touch with us using one of the methods below.